I’ll skip the part where I say it’s been forever, because, well, that’s how I’ve started my last few posts. So I’m going with the assumption that it’s just a given. Moving on.
Today we had our Third Annual Corrales Thanksgiving. C is in the states this year, but I still love to celebrate it, and luckily my family and friends here are willing participants. And double lucky that the family chef is home to man the turkey and gravy side of things. The concept of large double ovens is so very lost on the Spaniards. Shame.
As always, I started yesterday…handled all the desserts (the crowd favorite, but also a lemony-cheesecakey experiment, and the requisite pumpkin component), chopped, boiled, and basically lined everything up for an easy day today. The awesome ladies in my life came over to help, which because I had all day and didn’t have too much to do, basically translated to hanging out with me in the kitchen. MY. FAVORITE. THING. EVER. Seriously. EVER.
We had 17 people this year, a combo of friends and family. All there just because I like to celebrate Thankgsiving. It’s awesome. Everything turned out great…and the turkey? The turkey was AWEsome. He got all fancy with it and was injecting it with Port and I don’t know what other crack magic, but it was the bomb.
And besides family and good food, Thanksgiving is a good time to think about all the good stuff you’ve got in your life. So here is a partial list of things I’m thankful for:
1. Skype and FaceTime that let me see and talk to my family and friends in the states pretty much whenever I want. They make the ocean seem so much smaller.
2. The amazing people I am surrounded by here, friends and family, who love me like I’ve been a part of their world my whole life, take care of me, support me, humor me by participating in Thanksgiving every year, and who sit with me in the kitchen and drink wine.
3. My job. Not only because I have one (considering the situation in Spain) but because I totally dig it. I started a new job in October, teaching English for a national company in Santander. It seriously (ask C) has made me a much more pleasant person to be around. I mean it. I have a great variety of interesting adult students who have all kinds of interests and like to talk about different things, and who in general are just really nice, cool people. And my groups of kids I’d even go so far as to say are cute. I love going into the city every day, heck I even like taking the bus. Its just…it’s just GOOD.
4. My hubby. Cause he’s a good egg and he makes me laugh and he supports me and he deals with me when I get snarky (I know, it’s hard to believe a saint like myself gets snarky, I sometimes can’t believe it myself) and he is a little whacky sometimes and he buys me umbrellas that don’t flip inside out with the Cantabrian gusts of wind. All that and he likes my baking too.
5. My ninnies. Despite the fact that they wake me up before my alarm and they shed in a way that makes it impossible to feel like my house is ever totally clean AND that one of them thinks that pooping in the box is so not cool anymore, they are my little nuggets and they keep me company and are my little electric blankets in the winter.
6. I’m super happy this guy isn’t living under our house anymore.
7. And for newsy emails. I love newsy emails and my friends and family who like to write them. I eat them up, they make me feel very in-the-loop.
Like I said, it’s a partial list. I’m a lucky girl.